Saturday, October 07, 2006

Bike Ride from Nkhoma to Dedza

Bike Ride from Nkhoma to Dedza – Sept. 2nd, 2006

The bike ride from Nkhoma to Dedza was awesome! It was so nice to slow down and travel at the same pace as life here in Malawi. So many times as I have traveled to and from in the car, I felt as if I was just whizzing through this world here and missing a big part of it. Not only did the glass window act as a barrier, but so did this new fangled technology called an automobile… separating me from the ‘other’ life in Malawi that the locals live in.

On my VSO issued ‘mountain’ bike (this thing weighs a ton) I headed off from a small town, Nkhoma, which is just a bit south of Lilongwe. I was spending the day with 2 Dutch doctors Gabie and Anna Marie. The ride was on a back road, almost parallel to the main highway and does not get a lot of traffic. It was 60 km and took about 7 hrs to get to Dedza. Along the way we meet lots of great people and had such a good time while enjoying the surrounding hills. This was also a great opportunity to take some photos.

When we arrived at Dedza, we treated ourselves to cheesecake at the pottery. I think that may have been the best cheesecake I’ve ever had 

Leavin Nkhoma:



On the road to Dedza:



Our bridge crossing:



Things I saw along the ride:













A foreshadowing sign that cheesecake is close!



After 7 hrs we arrive at the pottery:



And enjoying our reward!