Saturday, July 29, 2006

Dzalanyama

Dazalanyama
Part 1-
Another weekend comes along and I am off to explore a different part of Malawi. This time I headed just south of Lilongwe to the border with Mozambique where the Dazalanyama Mountains are located. It is a perfect distance from Lilongwe for a quick weekend trip.

The lodge is a nice little place located next to a creek and is very quite and peaceful. Lucius is the guide/cook here at the lodge. You bring your own food and he will cook it up and does a fantastic job -even the oatmeal for breakfast was amazing! There was a group of Dutch volunteers staying at the lodge that weekend and we had such a great time spending the evening getting to know them. They all work for an express postal service in Holland and the company offers their employees an opportunity to volunteer 3 months with the UN World Food Program.

The next morning Lucius takes us to the top of the highest mountain in the Dazalanyama Mountains – Mtsotsoto Mt. (5063 ft). From the top of the mountain, we have these great views south into Mozambique. As I’m checkin out my first glimpse of Mozambique I spot this beautiful rock faced mountain to our south and I ask Lucius if one can hike that mountain. He says yes! It is then decided, I will have to return, because this mountain in Mozambique is calling me :)

Enjoying our dinner:




Mtsotsoto Mt:




On the top of Mtsotsoto Mt.:




My next destination:




The Lodge: