Thursday, August 03, 2006

Dzalanyama Part 2

Dazalanyama Part 2-
Two weeks after my first visit to Dazalanyama Lodge a friend from the UK was in town working on a forestry project and wanted to go hiking. “I have the perfect place” I tell him. So off we go back to the Dazalanyama Mountains.

The roads here in Malawi are mainly used by people on foot or bike. I have yet to drive a car here, but it seems to be a bit stressful with all this other traffic on the roads. You have people everywhere…along side the road as well as on the road, and carrying all sorts of stuff. You name it, someone is carrying it. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get too many photos because it has just impossible in a moving car. But I will keep trying!

We brought our mountain bikes with us and before we make the final turn off to the lodge I spot a bike repair shop and had this great idea…lets get one of these guys to fix the brakes on one of the bikes. (Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.) We unload the bike from the car and ask if they can adjust the brakes – they quickly answer “Yes madame.” So I handed over the bike into the hands of these professional bike repairmen. After a long while he hands over the bike to me as ‘fixed. The brakes are so well adjusted that the front wheel does not even turn! So I give the bike back to him, said thanks but asked him to try again. Next thing I know a hacksaw has been brought out, is in hand and being used to cut the brake cable. Oh now this is something I haven’t seen before… I quickly realize that this was not one of my better ideas. After some time, the bike is returned, and in worse shape than when we arrived. We decide to take the bike before any more damage is done and fix it ourselves at the lodge. Nice try!

Bike shop:




The bike tools used in Malawi:




We arrive at the lodge, Richard fixes the brakes on his bike and we are off for a quick bike ride in search of the waterfalls about 10 km away. We make it as far as the footpath to the waterfalls that are at least a 15 min walk, with the sun quickly falling behind the mountains. We decide to pass on the falls and head back to the lodge before nightfall.


The next day we head off to Mozambique to hike to the top of Khamande Mt.

On the Mozambique/Malawi border:




Our destination:




Getting Directions from the Mozambique locals:




The top of Khamande with southern view of Mozambique:




Me and our guide Lucius:




Scene from Africa - Drivin home: