Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Nepal Trek: Day 12

Oct 5th – Lobuche to Gorak Shep:

16,175ft/4930m – 17,008ft/5184m

Had a short 2 hr hike to Gorak Shep, which is the last village before Everest Base Camp. We had clear skies all day. The idea was to hike to Gorak Shep and if the views were good of Everest, I would climb up Kala Pattar and then return to Lobuche. If the clouds were obstructing Everest, then I would stay the night in Gorak Shep in hopes the next morning would offer clear views. When I arrived, the views were great and no clouds, so I decided to do the climb…because you just do not know when the clouds will come back.
So after a short break of tea, I headed up Kala Pattar (18,448ft/5623m). Jeez my legs were moving slowly. I thought that after a good couple of days of hard trekking my legs would be a bit stronger, but I was finally feeling effects of the altitude. Nuptse was looming large to my right and Pumo Ri  just as large and straight ahead. About halfway up, Everest was becoming visible from behind Nuptse. The Khumbu glacier extended all the way down the valley where I could see Ama Dablam, and further were the peaks of South Kangtega and Thamserku. Along the way I saw an avalanche and was surprised on how loud it was from that distance.

Once I reached the top, I can not believe how clear and amazing views are in all directions. I felt incredibly lucky today!!

Pumo Ri:

Everest!!

Everest and the Khumbu ice flow:

Views to the south – Khumbu glacier, Ama Dablam, and further are South Kangtega and Thamserku:

On top of the world: